Friday, July 27, 2018

Lewis Wenz


Hi, my name is Lewis and I'm 9 years old. This is my first time going to Kenya. This is going to be the longest I have been on an airplane. I am excited to play soccer with the kids in Kenya. As a family we read Sharon Moffitt’s book, “A Day of Small Things,” and I feel like it helped me get ready for the trip. From the book I learned that many kids don’t have the money to attend school all the way through high school. I also learned that HIV is one of the sicknesses causing sadness in Kenya. Kenyans have a folk tale about an ogre that eats a small part of a little girl each day because her grandma is not able to protect her. The grandma has to go get food so they won’t starve. This folk tale shows that the grandmother had to choose between protecting her granddaughter from an ogre, and collecting food to survive. If I were the grandmother, I would be mad because my granddaughter didn’t follow my directions to stay inside. I wonder if our sponsored child has heard this folk tale before. I’m excited for Kenya!

No comments:

Post a Comment